Classic Rock Band - The Who


One of the most electrifying bands that I have ever seen in concert... The Who. If you have never seen this classic rock band live, I strongly suggest that you do so now as they are planning a 2012 world tour of their 1973 concept album "Quadrophenia".
In the late '90's I saw this tour as it celebrated the albums 25th anniversary (who says rock is dead?) and The Who rocked the place out. Billy Idol was a back-up singer, "Thunder Fingers" John Entwistle was still alive and Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey, himself an outstanding drummer, were on stage as was Pete Townshends brother Simon, who can rock just as hard as his older brother. Of course Roger Daltry was there with that voice that can send shivers up and down your spine.
"Quadrophenia" itself is as schizophrenic as the band itself and if you listen you can hear the "voice" of each member of the band. They each have a theme song. But, Pete's "Love Reign O'er Me" is a classic rock song that will be heard for generations to come. And "5:15" is a working man's anthem that is still relevant today more than ever.
I saw them many years after on a greatest hits tour and they played a version of "Magic Bus" that I have never heard before or since... I think we were lucky that night as the entire crowd was totally enthralled and knew something special was happening.
According to Rolling Stone Magazine, The Who, who formed in 1964, "Along with The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, complete the holy trinity of British rock". And I wholeheartedly agree. The Who is part of the soundtrack of my youth... my life actually, as I often listen to their music to this day.
It's songs like "I Can't Explain", "My Generation", "Happy Jack" and "Substitute" that thrust this Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band into the limelight... that and smashing their instruments, which became a staple at Who shows for years. Their appearance at Monteray Pop, Woodstock and the Isle of Wight music fests helped solidify The Who's standing as one of the world's best rock bands.
Times change and The Who is getting older (aren't we all), but they can still rock! If you love classic rock bands and if The Who hits your town... go see them and bring the kids or grand kids and show them a piece of your past... they just might like it! A classic rock band like The Who won't be touring forever so 2012 may be your last chance to grab a piece of the past and share it with the younger generations. Like The Who says, "Long live rock, I need it everyday"!
I'm a classic rock nut. Perhaps it was the generation I grew up in but I feel that rock and roll is the music that truly speaks to my soul. That's why I started Rego's Classic Rock, a classic rock blog, to help keep this awesome music alive and hopefully share it with new generations of music fans to come. http://classicrocksite.com/

Comments

Popular Posts